- 1 cake firm tofu (about 16 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons grated peeled ginger root (optional)
- 1 garlic clove, pressed (optional)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- Cut the tofu into slices, cubes, triangles, or sticks.
- Lightly oil a baking dish large enough to hold the tofu in a single layer
- Whisk together the marinade ingredients (or variation ingredients, if using) and drizzle over the tofu.
- Gently turn or toss to coat thoroughly. Bake uncovered, stirring once or twice, until the oil is sizzling and the tofu is firm and chewy, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Serve hot, at room temperature, or chilled.
- Cut the tofu into small cubes.
- Heat the vegetable oil and the sesame oil in a large skillet.
- Add the tofu and sauté, stirring often, for 4 or 5 minutes, until lightly golden.
- Add the soy sauce (and other marinade ingredients if you are using a variation), lower the heat, and simmer for 3 or 4 minutes longer.