- 1 3-or 4-ounce can sardines in water or olive oil
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder or 2-3 garlic cloves minced or pressed
- 1/4 tsp chili powder or paprika
- 1 egg
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup flour
- Fresh herbs (thyme, oregano, basil, parsley -optional)
- 1/2 tsp olive oil
- Greek or plain yogurt (optional)
Open and drain the can of sardines. Place the sardines into a bowl and mash with a fork.
Peel and dice onion, add to bowl.
Peel and mince or press garlic, if using, add to bowl.
Add spices to bowl and use a fork to mix the ingredients.
Add one egg and mash together.
Add 1/4 cup flour and mix. Ingredients should stick together, but not be moist and sticky or dry and crumbly. Add more flour if necessary.
Warm olive oil over medium heat in a stovetop skillet.
Evenly divide the sardine mixture into 3 portions. Spoon these portions onto the warm skillet and flatten. Cook until the bottom is slightly browned. Flip and cook until the other side is slightly browned.
Serve topped with optional Greek or plain yogurt and herbs.